Friday, April 21, 2017

DAVID LIVINGSTONE


Dear David,

This is the closest I will get to an eulogy for you; on my unfinished blog...which in poetic fashion will end with this post on you because in reality you are the beginning of it. The irony here is that it is self published and you came from the other side of the coin, when people had to know how to write to actually be published. Alas, pardon my grammar and writing cliches. I have been out of the editing world since 2012 plus a day as I see in my last post. 

I owe so much to you. You gave me my first big career break in a field a lot of people dream getting into. With the amazing flashy first tittle of Associate Fashion Editor for The Look magazine. I was told I was a lucky person. And how!
Your curiosity in meeting the girl who was the talk of the town for her cinematic antics after a very fiery break up was my godsend. I had the flare of an Almodovar character and that fitted you just perfectly. And what a ride we had. 
It was fun, enlightening, intense. We had lots of laughs, multiple fights, and even some tears but most of all we had an affinity for the other. It was life changing.                                                                

With you fashion was not business but an art. Your ability to cross reference from films, literature, art, architecture, even a random science study most people would have never heard of from reinforced my curiosity and taught me to always pay attention to all. You could have written about anything but you chose fashion, or it chose you. It was really fun reading your text and always finding a a new piece of knowledge written so eloquently, because you were a magnificent writer. Your nuance and wit were unique.

You were difficult - let's not mince words- it takes one to know one. Sadly a lot of people did not get to know your true sensitive self. Your grumpy attitude betrayed a generous and deeply caring human being. Belligerent when drunk you were like a male version of Dorothy Parker. Cigarette and drink in hand with an acerbic and yet funny commentary on everything. Funny for some and very hard for others. 
What preoccupies now is your legacy. Because a lot of the new generation has no clue who you are. You deserve a place in Canada's fashion history, and in a world of ephemera can substance stand the test of time? 

I remember how proud I was when I spotted you a couple of years back in the video of Alexander McQueen's epic Dante 1996 Fall Winter RTW show at his V&A Retrospective in London. And in fucking first row! With your butch cross leg and writing notes. "Beauty and blasphemy". So you. You were so happy few in infinitely better ways than what the term was coined for . Not many know and much less others care to admit that you were one of a couple if not the only Canadian fashion reporters invited into such shows. Comme des Garçons, Karla Otto, and so many international names knew you and included you on their press lists. Who else could write about such a true artiste as Rei Kawabuko. I am flattering you here, I know you loved the intellectual side of fashion that was difficult to most, even I. They must have recognized innate true talent even if it came from that new little big country called Canada. But that was ages ago before the time influencers and clicks became the measure of what matters. 

What a hapless  romantic you were David. A scent could bring a tear to your eye. A memory so many laughs, and what fun we had with Eng, Laura, Michelle, Carrie, Jenn and Lil and all the great artists we collaborated with to put your idea of beautiful images and texts into the world. I hope we can figure out how to keep your spirit going - because you were truly one of a kind.

This is a long winded text to say it was a such a great honour and privilege working for you and having you as my first mentor. 

And as you liked to say onwards and upwards...

Laura 

No comments:

Post a Comment